Texas Water Development Board
1700 North Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas 78701
Veterans, Reservist or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the fields of 12A
Engineer Officer, 510X SC - Civil Engineer Corps, 55 Civil Engineering, 8831 Environmental Engineering Management Officer, or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position and are highly encouraged to apply.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_EngineeringandDesign.pdf.
Job Description Summary
Performs routine (journey-level) technical analysis and engineering evaluation of reports, facility plans, construction plans and specifications, construction schedules, contracts, change orders and other required project and program documents for water, wastewater, storm water, and other eligible infrastructure projects funded by Texas Water Development Board. Responsible for ensuring that TWDB financial assistance projects comply with Board rules and design criteria. Makes recommendations on eligibility for funding and project approval. Ensures that projects comply with all engineering and construction related program requirements and that project files are accurate and complete. Represents Regional Water Project Development (RWPD) at assigned meetings and engagements. May train others. Works under moderate supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the RWPD Department.
Essential Job Functions
• Reviews applications for financial assistance and advises applicants on TWDB requirements according to the different funding programs.
• Develops relevant engineering information needed for Board consideration of the funding request and make final recommendations on the feasibility of the proposed project/application.
• Coordinates with various federal and state agencies regarding project and programs.
• Performs technical review and evaluation of engineering related financial assistance documents; determines relevant deficiencies, options and recommendations to ensure compliance with TWDB rules and regulations.
• Monitors project schedules, budgets, and invoice costs and/or released costs to identify potential issues or delays.
• Serves as contract manager and monitors contract schedules, requirements, terms, and conditions; reviews eligibility and approves payment requests.
• Conducts on-site observations to monitor the progress of the construction of water and wastewater treatment systems to for compliance with TWDB rules and regulations.
• Assists owners with problem resolution, and ensures work is completed in accordance with approved plans and specifications.
• Manages various aspects of projects, recommends course of action to reduce delays, and documents project files on significant actions.
• Provides information and assistance to appropriate TWDB staff and clients.
• Stays informed of changes to pertinent laws, regulations, guidelines, policies, and instructions and correctly applies them to assigned projects.
• Identifies and participates in internal and external job-related trainings.
• Maintains current information in TxWise.
• Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
• Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agency’s records retention procedures and schedule.
• Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
• May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Engineering or a related field.
• Licensed as a Professional Engineer by the State of Texas.
• Relevant education and experience can be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
• Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Civil or Environmental Engineering.
• Previous experience in planning and/or design of water treatment, storage and distribution systems.
• Previous experience in planning and/or design of wastewater treatment plants and collection systems.
• Previous experience in construction related inspection, oversight or monitoring of water and/or wastewater projects.
• Previous experience with water laws, federal and state programs and permitting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
• Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to RWPD Department; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
• Knowledge of engineering principles, techniques, and procedures.
• Knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, and rules for water and wastewater projects.
• Knowledge of project engineering development.
• Knowledge of the design process.
• Knowledge of research, test, inspection, and analysis methodologies.
• Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
• Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
• Skills in the use of computer-aided design techniques.
• Skills in comprehending technical material.
• Skills in implementation planning.
• Skills in the use of logic to assess options.
• Skills in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
• Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
• Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
• Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
• Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
• Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
• Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
• Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks.
• Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
• Ability and willingness to travel 10% of the time, primarily within the State of Texas.
• Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a driver’s license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
• Ability to work days that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
• Ability to train others.
• Ability to plan, design, and manage engineering projects.
• Ability to use deductive, inductive, and mathematical reasoning.
$4,700.00 - $5,125.00/M
Apply Via Mail/Hand Delivery: Texas Water Development Board
Stephen F. Austin Building, 1700 North Congress Ave., Room 670, Austin, Texas 78701, via facsimile (512) 463-7644, via email HR@twdb.texas.gov or via Work in Texas (www.workintexas.com).
A State of Texas Application for Employment is required for each position in which you are interested. A resume and cover letter may be attached to the application form as supplemental information.
Applications must be received in the Human Resources Office by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
For application instructions, please visit our website at http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), TWDB will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you require special accommodations during the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Division for assistance at (512) 475-2142.
TWDB participates in E-Verify! Information from each new employee’s Form I-9 will be provided to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to confirm work authorization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.