City of Austin, Watershed Protection Department
505 Barton Springs Road
The position will serve as the primary contact for the City’s Regional Stormwater Management Program (RSMP); provide engineering modeling and design support for floodplain review, in-house floodplain and drainage studies and flood risk reduction designs; support the modeling and inundation mapping efforts of the City’s Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) program and serve as a FEWS support team member during activations for storm events.
As the primary contact for RSMP, the position will provide engineering analysis and review for the program. These duties will include: coordination with applicants; engineering analysis and research for projects; arrangement of discussions with applicants to determine the feasibility of participation; and tracking the progress of RSMP requests over the lives of the associated projects.
Some RSMP projects lead to the development of Public-Private Partnerships for the design and construction of drainage improvements. The position will participate in the design of such improvements and will coordinate with applicants, Watershed Engineering Division design team staff, Field Operations engineers, Field Operations crews, and inspection services to facilitate the design and construction of offsite improvements that provide regional stormwater management benefits.
Essential duties and responsibilities specific to this position:
1. Coordinate with applicants to the RSMP program to research projects for which participation is requested, arrange discussions to determine the feasibility of participation, provide engineering analysis as needed, and track the progress of RSMP requests over the lives of the associated projects.
2. Coordinate with Development Services Department drainage and water quality reviewers to ensure that calculations and plans submitted in support of RSMP applications are properly reviewed and that the review and approval process for RSMP fits into the overall development review timeline.
3. Work with applicants, Watershed Engineering Division Design Team staff, Field Operations engineers, Fidl Operations crews, and Inspection services to facilitate the design and construction of offsite improvements that provide regional stormwater management benefits through public-private partnership agreements developed through the RSMP.
4. Provide modeling review support for floodplain studies, perform floodplain review for development applications, and provide modeling and design support for in-house floodplain and drainage studies and flood risk reduction design projects.
5. Support the modeling and inundation mapping efforts of the FEWS program and serve as a FEWS support team member during activations for storm events.
Experience with hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, particularly with the HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS and StormCAD packages or similar models.
Familiarity with the City of Austin’s land development code (particularly the drainage-related elements) and drainage criteria.
Experience in the analysis and design of storm drainage systems (open and closed), detention ponds, and projects focused on the design of solutions for flood risk reduction.
Experience with ArcGIS and with associated enterprise databases and database connectivity software (Oracle, SQL, etc.).
Experience with two-dimensional modeling and with distributed hydrologic models such as Vflo or Infoworks ICM.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Certification as a Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM).
Commensurate with experience
For additional information and requirements for this position and to APPLY, please visit the City of Austin Employment site: https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/65119.