City of Austin, Watershed Protection Department
505 Barton Springs Road
This position will be filled at one of the following levels:
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Engineering or in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years engineering experience acquired either before and/or after licensing as a professional engineer. Must be a Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Texas.
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to engineering, plus six (6) years experience in engineering, acquired either before and/or after licensing as a professional engineer. Must be a Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Texas.
This position is a member of the Creek Flood Hazard Mitigation (CFHM) Section of the Watershed Engineering Division (WED). One of the goals of the division is to reduce the impacts and risk of flooding to Austin’s residents. Staff in the CFHM section helps to achieve this goal by identifying, prioritizing, planning, and implementing flood hazard mitigation projects and activities throughout the City. The section also administers the funds collected through the Regional Stormwater Management Program, participates in code and criteria development, and provides technical assistance to other Watershed Protection Department (WPD) missions, City departments, and the development community. This position and the team are responsible for performing feasibility studies to assess potential solutions to flooding issues, identifying and designing small scale mitigation solutions, sponsoring final design and construction of CIP projects, providing technical assistance, and conducting reviews of development applications. This position is also essential to the project identification and prioritization activities of the section.
Essential functions and duties specific to this position:
1. Planning, design and construction of small projects and capital improvement projects for flood hazard mitigation. Application of hydrologic and hydraulic modeling systems for creeks and enclosed storm drain systems, detention ponds, channel modifications and levees/floodwalls.
2. Preparation of preliminary and long range plans, schedules, cost estimates, budgets, special conditions and agreements. Monitor projects to assure they are completed as designed, on time and within budget.
3. Identification and prioritization of flood hazard mitigation projects. In-house engineering assessments for potential projects. Evaluations and updates of information related to the City’s Watershed Masterplan.
4. Meet with City engineering, development review and legal staff, consulting engineers, contractors, developers, and private citizens on matters related to drainage, creek flooding, and flood hazard mitigation. Review of hydrologic and hydraulic modeling systems prepared by others. Review of proposed changes to code and criteria.
5. Periodic field work to perform site visits and field investigations to evaluate problem areas and potential project sites.
For additional information and requirements specific to this position, please visit the City of Austin Employment website: https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/62696
Demonstrate knowledge of hydrologic and hydraulic analysis of open channel flow and closed system flow, including experience and proficiency with hydraulic and hydrologic modeling software such as HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, ICM, StormCAD, PondPack, etc.
Experience and proficiency in GIS and engineering design software such as AutoCAD.
Knowledge of the City's Drainage Criteria Manual and Land Development Code.
Certified Floodplain Manager
Experience with the hands-on design and implementation of small and large drainage projects, including preparing plans, permitting, and construction oversight.
Well-developed technical, project management, and communication skills, including experience conducting public meetings.
For additional requirements and information regarding this position and to APPLY, please visit the City of Austin Employment website: https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/62696 (https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/62696)
This posting closes on October 22, 2017.